- 1 What mic does the Strokes use?
- 2 How do I make my vocals fuzzy?
- 3 Why do my vocals sound fuzzy?
- 4 How loud should my vocals be in a mix?
- 5 How do professionals mix their vocals?
- 6 What is a good EQ setting for vocals?
- 7 Can you run vocals through a guitar amp?
- 8 What microphone does Julian Casablancas use?
- 9 Do the Strokes use autotune?
- 10 How do you stop distortion when recording vocals?
What mic does the Strokes use?
Both used Fender DeVille’s placed on opposite ends of the studio, while Raphael placed a single mic on each one.
How do I make my vocals fuzzy?
Distorting vocals adds grit and urgency, but even when going for an extreme sound, it’s often best to use parallel processing, so as to avoid making the voice raspy, lacking in body and generally unlistenable. Add an overdrive effect to a bus, roll off some of the top and bottom, then blend with the dry vocal to taste.
Why do my vocals sound fuzzy?
Reasons for distortion A microphone or sound source, like a computer, is overloaded with sound. For example, the microphone can’t handle the volume level which it’s detecting and thus distorts the sound that it’s sending into the sound system. An instrument sends too hot of a signal into the system.
How loud should my vocals be in a mix?
Every vocal is different and every song is different as well. But generally speaking, lead vocal should be moderately loud or the loudest element next to your drums in your mix.
How do professionals mix their vocals?
In most genres, the vocals are the most important part of the mix. 10 Ways to Make Vocals Sound Modern & Professional
- Top-End Boost.
- Use a De’Esser.
- Remove Resonances.
- Control the Dynamics with Automation.
- Catch the Peaks with a Limiter.
- Use Multiband Compression.
- Enhance the Highs with Saturation.
- Use Delays Instead of Reverb.
What is a good EQ setting for vocals?
Best EQ Settings for Vocals
- Roll off the low-end starting around 90 Hz.
- Reduce the mud around 250 Hz.
- Add a high shelf around 9 kHz & a high roll off around 18 kHz.
- Add a presence boost around 5 kHz.
- Boost the core around 1 kHz to 2 kHz.
- Reduce sibilance around 5 kHz to 8 kHz.
Can you run vocals through a guitar amp?
While acoustic guitar amps are designed to be able to process vocals through a microphone at the same time as your guitar signal, electric guitar amps aren’t. But if you don’t have money to buy a proper PA System, it is possible to play vocals through your guitar amp.
What microphone does Julian Casablancas use?
Casablancas’ distorted voice In the first instance they combined an Audio-Technica 4033A condenser microphone with an Avalon 737 preamp. With a lot of EQ work they eventually found a sound appropriate for the record. The 4033A microphone is renowned for being warm and incredibly crisp and detailed at the same time.
Do the Strokes use autotune?
The Strokes’ singer explained the heavy use of auto-tune in a previous interview, “In Indian music and Middle Eastern music, they use more notes [than in Western music]. Ten percent of the melodies jump off to a new level with auto-tune. It’s a whole other level of harmony.”
How do you stop distortion when recording vocals?
Another way you can tackle loud vocals is not to record directly into the microphone, another alternative you might want to try is backing away from the microphone and recording a bit far from it or you could simply turn your microphone a tad bit away from your mouth or input audio source.